Monday, June 14, 2010

1!



One year ago, at exactly this time, we were in the delivery room waiting to meet her for the first time. It was nothing like you see in the movies. It was really quiet - in fact, most of the morning it was just the two of us in the room. After Eva got the epidural, we had a few hours before the real action was going to begin, so they turned the lights down in the room and we both drifted in and out of sleep as the morning light leaked in around the blinds. Finally, it was time, and our doctor and one nurse came in and calmly instructed us to take our places. Eva was relaxed and strong, and if she was a bit scared, she never let on.

Less than an hour later, we were holding her.

Now, our baby can sort of walk. She reads books. She pets the cats. She eats tuna sandwiches. At 5 AM yesterday she woke up crying, so I went in her room and picked her up to give her a bottle. She stopped squawking right away, then kissed me on the forehead three times. It might have been the best 5 seconds of my life so far.


My daughter is beautiful and sweet and smart and the most interesting person I have ever met. My wife is patient and loving and wise and the most capable person in the history of the world. I am so lucky to spend my life with these two people!

Happy Birthday Ellery!! Thank you Eva!!

5 comments:

the developher said...

I love you both a millionXO

PS Drugs make you fearless - that and state-of-the-art medical facilities.

Crescent said...

oh man. I love you guys. That made me cry. Happy Birthday little Ellery!

ekm said...

awwww.
i love you all.

Shanghai Shecky said...

happy birthday Ellery!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.