Monday, February 25, 2008

My first post! (maybe my last)

John, the guitarist from Crystal Palace (my first band while still in high school-1984-85, and a guy I occasionally still do some gigs with) just sent me a link to some you tube videos of the band circa 1980. While all of the videos are entertaining in a very special Spinal Tap sort of way, the one above is just hilarious. Wait for it...it gets really good at 1:11 in. Also.....best ending ever.

I believe that the Hitmaker and possibly Biche played in a rival group at the battle of the bands in the Niles North High School Gymnasium in '85. I can't remember, did you guys win? I believe my friends band Synesthesia may have won because they were all Seniors and they played a wicked version of Foreplay/Long Time.

WAG

6 comments:

Alvy said...

That is some quality feedback. And chest hair.

Welcome Wag!

Simo said...

Nice! Dig that double bass drum

Simo said...

Nice! Did that double bass drum

Shanghai Shecky said...

if they came on the scene today, they'd immediately start touring with les savvy fav, the darkness, the hold steady, or all of the above. and the indie chicks would love them.

Biche said...

i don't remember who won, but the ( piece band Nick and I were in at that contest was called E.R.O., which stood for the Ethiopian Relief Orchestra.

Yes, nine people. We had a lot of horns. (insert "making the face" here)

Yes, we both had actual unironic, mullets.

Yes, we rocked the hizzy. And yes, Lee Windmiller assembled the sound system onsite, with the help (methinks) of one Howard J. Windmiller.

Yes, I'm pretty sure someone has a cassette of ERO's performance, though I don't know about video (which would mean my mom did not attend, for that is the only way any event in my life since 1978 has not been videotaped by her).

ok, i'll leave some for the fish...sorry

The Hitmaker said...

Yep, it was the concert to raise money for Ethiopia (2+ months before Live Aid, btw), and we did close with "Do They Know It's Christmas?"--another manner in which Live Aid copied high-school kids. It was not a battle of the bands--there was no voting. I actually didn't have my mullet yet--I'll find a photo to scan for evidence.
I do remember the Wag and Papa wag wiring up the PA all afternoon, whilst we loaded in our tons of gear, including both Sonor drums sets (my brother and Todd both played on that gig). Biggest band ever.
That's also the gig where BA had gone to Great America for some kind of "senior day" outing, missed his ride back because he was too blocked up on pills, and wandering onstage in the middle of the gig. I almost punched him.