Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Pivotal Moment In Human History Alert



This weekend, human beings successfully landed a craft on the North Pole of Mars, 35 million miles away. The Phoenix Mars Lander will use its robotic arm to dig about a foot beneath the surface to look for liquid or frozen water, essential to all know life. We may be hours away from finding the first life on another planet.

The picture above was taken by another orbiting satellite and shows the lander parachuting to the planet's surface. The first pictures that the lander has relayed are available here.

In 1968, the world STOPPED to watch the Apollo missions. Now they won't even interrupt "Two and A Half Men". Don't you think it's a PR issue? If the networks treated it like the enormous story it is, wouldn't everyone get excited about it? Why does there have to be a person on board - which would make the expedition EXPONENTIALLY more expensive and only marginally more efficient - for the average person to care?

Furthermore, why does it annoy me so much?

David Bowie - "Life On Mars"

2 comments:

Tony B. said...

I'm with you on this one. I was way into the last one (the robot lander-thing that rolled around on 6 wheels) and i have one of it's photos on my computer which I look at from time to time.

And you know what i realized? That Mars looks a like Utah.

quickdraw said...

Yeah, it's a bit depressing that this doesn't evoke discussion and excitement. I've heard considerably more about R Kelly's trial than Mars. However, I do feel as though I just hiked around Mars for two days.