Thursday, December 27, 2007

Yet Another Reason to Listen to The Stranger


I'm working on a piece about Billy Joel's The Stranger (yes, I'm still obsessed with this record). In the course of researching Mr. Joel I came across an interesting tidbit on Wikipedia. Apprently, after his parents divorced in 1960, his father moved back to Vienna, Austria. First of all, I can't think of anything more sad than a parent moving away from his child. But more importantly, it's given me new insight on the first song on Side B "Vienna". OMG! "Vienna waits for you" he talks about some ambitious kid who doesn't seem to know how to relax and enjoy life. Is he talking to his father? That's deep.

Check out this a cappella version by these kids. (They are good!)

1 comment:

Alvy said...

That video is why the terrorists hate us.

It made me root for Eric and Dylan, if you know what I mean.