Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Kim Deal in Time Out NY



“Cannonball” was a big crossover hit. Ever get sick of it?

No. That used to be a popular stance for indie-rockers to take. If somebody actually liked one of their songs, then they would hate the song. I was never like that.

Did the success of that song cause any jealousy among your indie-rock peers?
You know, [Pavement’s Stephen] Malkmus is being a bit of a bitch in interviews recently. One thing he said last summer referred to me as “trashy mouth.” And he just did this article in Spin where he alluded to me unpleasantly, saying [something like], “You know, I always thought that Pavement could have had one of those big hits in the early ’90s with ‘Cut Your Hair,’ but I guess people preferred ‘Cannonball.’ ”

Are you a fan of his music?

Yeah, I liked Pavement. But if he keeps fucking smacking his mouth off about me, I’m going to end up not being able to listen to any of their fucking records again. Anyway, I thought, God, man, “Cut Your Hair” isn’t as good of a song as “Cannonball,” so fuck you. How’s that? Your song was just a’ight, dawg.

5 comments:

Simo said...

and....she's right

Biche said...

and...she quotes randy jackson..and...she's right

the developher said...

i'm with kim, fuck pavement and that snotty bitch malkmus

Shanghai Shecky said...

she's a better songwriter by %20 and hotter by %150. and she's a lot tougher. i mean, kim deal could probably beat-up ALL of pavement at once.

and in my opinion, 'cut your hair' blew. now 'AT&T' could've been a hit.

Simo said...

crazy, diamond floyd pompeyzie,
I think I see Gram Maby
chewing on a licorice mennenite

Open up your trousers
take it out and point to where it hurts,
turn your head caugh haugh hauff
turn your head caugh hoagh hoaff!

Simo-from a tour bus in Pompeii 1996