Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Another Reason to Love Obama


from a tape of Obama debate prep obtained by Newsweek


Obama continues: "When you have to be cheerful all the time and try to perform and act like [the tape is unclear; Obama appears to be poking fun at his opponents], I'm sure that some of it has to do with nerves or anxiety and not having done this before, I'm sure. And in my own head, you know, there's--I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. When you're going into something thinking, 'This is not my best ...' I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me ... answer it.' Instead of being appropriately [the tape is garbled]. So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."

posted by Shanghai Shecky

3 comments:

Alvy said...

He should TOTALLY start smoking again. Like, all the time. Including during press conferences.

Tony B. said...

This is just one heart-warming difference between him and current prez: The stuff bush said off camera or when he thought the mic was off was usually even more embarrassing then what he said officially.

In Obama's case, it's even smarter and more real. Huzzah for that.

ekm said...

It's not just the F word that sticks out here. It's the much-needed recognition that collective problems require collective responses and can't be solved by individual "ethical" consumerism.