Saturday, September 29, 2007

Peace Like a River




Although he still has a lot to answer to for releasing Capeman, in my book Paul Simon is one of the most gifted singer/songwriters around. For the past week I have been listening to nothing but this song over and over and it gets better with each listen. Fleetwood Mac, Elliott Smith, Richie Havens, I hear all of these artists in this song.

When I ride my bike to work in the morning I turn left from Damen onto Madison just as the sun introduces itself to the city above the radio antennas of the Sears Tower. Just at that left turn, I start to break a sweat, working the pedals over and over, up in the saddle fighting against the wind and singing at the top of my lungs...

Peace like a river ran through the city/long past the midnight curfew we sat starry-eyed/we we're satisfied

(I hope that I'll never make it to work and I'll just spend the day riding, this song playing over and over)

You can beat us with wires/you can beat us with chains/you can run out your rules/but you can't outrun the history train

(I hope you enjoy this song as much as I have)

Four in the morning/I woke up from out of my dreams
Nowhere to go but back to sleep/But I'm reconciled

I'm going to be up for a while
I'm going to be up for a while
I'm going to be up for a while


Paul Simon "Peace Like a River"
http://download.yousendit.com/1A52C8BE4AE76561

No comments: