Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wilco @ Millenium Park















We started out with dinner at the Park Grill, where I had a Kobe burger, which I believe means the cow involved was acquitted of anal rape.
We filed in through the rather mellow crowd about 10 minutes before showtime and took our seats. Wilco started nice and slow, with a gentle "You Are My Face". The sound was pretty awful to start out with - I don't believe they turned the drum mics on until song 5. They played EVERYTHING you could imagine, going for over two hours including encores.
Unlike previous Wilco shows I've seen, the wankery was kept to a minimum, and even Nels Cline had his ambitions in perspective, though I believe he's worn the same red pants at every show I've seen. Tweedy (who has given his "psycho" beard a sabbatical) tried to get everyone clapping in time during an interminable "Spiders (Kidsmoke)", and seemd borderline miffed that we wouldn't keep it going. Memo to Jeff: that song sucks cocks in hell. Always has.
After a 5 song Being There/A.M. jam sesh, we filed out like orderly grownups. The Smurfit-Stone building had a deadpan "AIDS RUN" lit up on its diagonal face, which looked more like a warning to me. "AIDS! Run!"

No comments: