Friday, September 14, 2007

When I was Bourne for the 1st time



In Mineral Point, WI life moves at a pretty slow pace. In this old mining town, there are seven bars in less than 200 yards, three places to by the freshest cheese curds you've ever had and EVERYBODY knows EVERYBODY'S bidness. One of the greatest places here is the Mineral Point Operal House where the local film society runs pretty deece movies on Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights @ 7 PM sharp. For a workin' dad with two small children going to the movies is a luxury for me and when I'm producing shoots for Lands End I usally make the 2 hour r/t drive to Madison to get my art film on. Death at a Funeral which I saw on Tuesday night is highly recommended.

To make a long story short, my crew was all stoked to see the Bourne Ultimatum on Friday night (tonight) and while heading down the street to get some summer sausage I ran into Phil who runs the show at MPOH (so to speak) and he was getting ready to take down the Bourne poster and hang one for Superbad. I haven't seen Superbad, but I was way more pumped to see JB karate chop some fuckers in Tangiers than to watch some pudgy indie kids reference Coming to America.

Our conversation went like this:

Me: "Oh hey Phil, bummer about the Bourne Ultimatum, our crew was all psyched to come tomorrow night"
Phil: "Oh jeez, really?"
Me: "Yeah, you think if I could bring 10 people, you could show it to us tonight (Thursday)?"
Phil "10? That's more than we had all last weekend. Oh jeez, I don't know"
Me: "Yeah, I'll pay for 10 no matter what"
Phil: "Let me talk to Helen at the pharmacy and see if she can run the projector"
Me: "Awesome"

Well, not only did Helen run the projector, but she cooked up some sick corn, let us play with a gang of period costumes we found hanging in a closet, started the preview/commercial free movie when I gave her the thumbs up (!) and turned up the volume loud as fuck. The 10 of us cheered louder than a room full of bust-a-cappers during a Friday the 13th screening. By the way the original leather seats in the balcony have special holders underneath for your Stetson. If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.




3 comments:

The Hitmaker said...

Wow! Note to Simo and Bianchi: Why didn't we go here to see Bourne last night?!?!

Simo said...

now thats what I call activating assets!

Tony B. said...

Country Folks: 1,
City North 14: 0