Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Totally Freaking Me Out

I had never heard the Kinks' songs "Strangers" until yesterday. Ever. I was going through some stuff I had downloaded in the previous weeks, made a random playlist, grabbed a few songs based on title, and listened in the car. When I heard this song, I immediately thought, "I'm going to post this on the blog under the heading Did Alvy Write This?!"
So, you can see how when I coincidentally finally asked Simo today for the FingerMe Blog URL, I was wigged out to see this: today's post.

Check out Simo's post about The Kinks' "Strangers."

8 comments:

the developher said...

I know this song! Very well! In fact I love it. But I never, ever thought it was the Kinks! Wow, what craziness.

Alvy said...

I have been ripping that song off over and over again for over a decade, never once approximating its beauty and economy. Sue me.

Perhaps there should be a compilation made of the songs which I have ripped off the most:

"Five Years" - David Bowie
"Turn It On" - Flaming Lips
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles
"Game of Pricks" - GBV
"Lady Midnight" - Leonard Cohen
"Father to a Sister of Thought" - Pavement
"Do You Love Me Now" - The Breeders
"Frank Mills" - "Hair" OST
"I Know" - Fiona Apple
"Believe Me" - Badfinger
"Contact Me Now" - The Grifters
Blood & Chocolate/King of America LPs - Elvis Costello
Entire Catalogue - Elliott Smith

Tony B. said...

Which songs rip off GBV? I want to hear those!

And man - The "FingerMe" blog? I call foul on that.

the developher said...

Finger HUT Tony, HUT!
Like the catalog.
Gross...

Alvy said...

"Is There Anyone Out There" from the last record cops the verse chord progression from "Game of Pricks", as do like 40 Kid Million songs.

Tony B. said...

Aye, I know what the fingerhut blog is called, officially, i was calling foul on the hitmaker's nickname for it (fully understanding everything must have a nickname, of course.)

And what do you know but Is There Anyone Out There is my favorite song from that record!

It's all coming together.

Simo said...

Adel copped the drum ending to strangers for the Doris record, though IU forget which song

Shanghai Shecky said...

i actually sampled the drums and looped them and wrote a song called 'the pacific' over it. 2 chords. terrible lyrics. played it live to the iPod a couple of times.